Assistant Underwriting Manager
Duties & Responsibilities:
- In coordination with management, provide input and execute annual business plans for the team and individual underwriters to produce profitable business and provide brokers with optimal service.
- Responsible for the management of assigned underwriting staff to include: monitoring progress to performance goals to include performance deficiencies, training and mentoring, completing annual performance evaluations, approving PTO requests, and other staff issues as they arise.
- Assist in the hiring process of new staff and assist in the establishment of Underwriting Authority for team underwriters.
- Coordinate with Underwriting Manager the marketing travel schedules for team in order to ensure adequate in-office resources.
- Keep abreast of pertinent changes at underwriting team level (legal climate, market conditions, new business opportunities etc) and make suggestions to management on appropriate course(s) of action.
- Maintain equitable and productive brokerage assignments within team in conjunction with the Underwriting Manager
- Identify issues and obstacles that impact ability to attain team/division goals and work in conjunction with Underwriting Manager to rectify.
- Monitor rate level to ensure team and individual compliance with division pricing objectives.
- Provide input to management on Underwriting and Pricing Guides where appropriate.
- Act as first point of referral on all accounts that fall outside of individual underwriter authority.
- 6+ years of industry experience, preferably in Excess and Surplus Lines
- Specific experience in marketing and underwriting of the division related products
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience
- Professional designation is preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills & strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to collaborate with Actuarial, Claims, IT, Compliance and other divisions as needed.
- Ability to mentor, guide, and develop others
- Demonstrated ability to effectively assess risk, price, and negotiate business in accordance with division guidelines
- Ability lead, motivate and influence others
- Proven problem solving and decision making skills
- High degree of personal initiative and self motivation
To apply for this position, please email your resume and cover letter to: