Review and analyze underwriting data in order to determine if risks meet corporate underwriting standards. Calculate appropriate premium and determine proper terms for acceptable risks. Respond to brokers when risks do not meet underwriting guidelines. Develop and maintain profitable business relationships with brokers.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Have a clear understanding of Company and division underwriting strategy and guidelines including coverage’s, hazards, loss trends and competition
- Apply underwriting strategy and guidelines to high volume of submission and endorsement activity
- Develop and maintain favorable business relationships with brokers
- Accept, modify, or reject risks in accordance with Company guidelines and written authority
- Refer risks outside written authority to management for approval
- Assure all files are thorough, timely and contain a documented analysis of exposures and with pricing and terms consistent with guidelines
- Attain premium, loss ratio and service goals as assigned
- Work with management as needed to revise or add to written guidelines and coverage forms
- Approve risks handled by less experienced underwriters up to the level of written authority
- Meet face-to-face with brokers within assigned territory at least three times per year
- Minimum of at least 3-5 years previous E&S experience. The ability to effectively assess risks and the ability to apply that knowledge.
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent work experience
- Superior oral and written communication and presentation skills; excellent interpersonal and customer service skills; must be able to develop and sustain co-operative working relationships with co-workers and brokers; self-motivated, strong analytical skills; professional and flexible; committed team player with a consensus-building approach.
- Strong organizational, time-management and multi-tasking skills; able to allocate one’s time effectively. Ability to manage multiple and changing priorities.
- Strong skills in the Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Excel, Word) and the ability to adapt quickly to proprietary departmental software programs.
- Some travel required.
To apply for this position, please email your resume and cover letter to: