James River Insurance Company (JRIC) operates as an Excess & Surplus carrier in all 50 states plus Washington, DC.
The home office for JRIC is in Richmond, VA. We have satellite offices in Alpharetta, GA and Scottsdale, AZ. The holding company for JRIC, James River Group, Inc. is in Chapel Hill, NC. Our ultimate parent is James River Group Holdings, Ltd. located in Hamilton, Bermuda.
- James River Group was formed in mid-2002 and capitalized with private equity.
- James River Insurance Company opened its doors for business on July 1, 2003.
- In August 2005, James River Group, Inc. was taken public in an IPO and listed on NASDAQ under the symbol JRVR.
- In December 2007, all outstanding shares of JRVR were acquired by a private investor group. This holding company entity was named Franklin Holdings (Bermuda), Ltd. It was renamed James River Group Holdings, Ltd. in 2014.
- In December 2014, James River Group Holdings, Ltd. was taken public, again listed on NASDAQ under the stock symbol JRVR.
A.M. Best Co. has assigned a rating of A- (Excellent) and Financial Size of XI ($750 million to $1 billion in policyholder surplus.)
JRIC distributes its products through authorized Wholesale Brokers and General Agents nationwide.
Our underwriting approach seeks to provide creative client solutions balanced with the existential requirement for underwriting profitability. As individual-risk underwriters, we are not afraid of unusual or high-hazard risks but seek to understand the exposure of each account fully and price for each accordingly. We aspire to be a great underwriting organization year-in and year-out, consistent through all market cycles.